Tuesday 12 March 2013

Martin Parr


Martin Parr

Parr’s series “common sense” makes a statement about the modern world, social and cultural tourism. It illustrates the middle/working class’ behaviour and the ways of life. There are a range of images, from backs of heads to typical English food. The images of food tend to illuminate and bring out the bad features in the food such as grease and sugar, illustrating the working class life style.

Some of Martin Parrs most influential images:




The images have been shot with ring flash, usually in daylight. This makes the colours more saturated and shows that Parr described as: “what I liked and disliked about middle classes”. A lot of the main themes seem to be money, appearance and consumerism. English clichés are used throughout such as tea, the union jack and novelty items. This has been very popular in France. It shows England the way people from abroad may picture it.

In my images I have chosen to travel to Brighton which in the summer is the height of British tourism. Parr took many of his images in Brighton and as I have friends there I will be able to arrange the trip. I am a regular traveller to Brighton and even past the seasonal months there is always a very British feel.
I wanted to keep the themes of English tourism by photographing something that could in a way define or explain this. Whilst exploring Brighton I photographed a few sights/objects that stood out to me. I went in a sweet shop and found an English breakfast made out of rock which, I felt, perfectly reflected the theme of consumerism and showed off middle class faults. I took the image at a slight angle that appears to be prominent in Parr’s compositions, rather than from a perfectly straight above viewpoint.

My take on Martin Parr's method:


No comments:

Post a Comment